Monday, August 17, 2009

Local Feast

I love food bloggers because they always take beautiful pictures of the fabulous dishes they create. I'm always too eager to eat to remember to take a picture, so use your imagination as I tell you about the meal we had tonight.

As I was preparing dinner tonight, I felt very excited about how much of it was locally produced. We had spaghetti and meatballs and zucchini bread. The sauce was made from locally grown tomatoes and herbs grown in a pot on my deck. The meatballs were made from grass fed beef from another local farmer. Finally, the zucchini and honey in the bread were also grown and produced locally. It makes me feel good to know that I am feeding my family healthy, nourishing food while also supporting growers from my area. I love knowing that I can potentially visit any of those farms and see exactly where my food comes from and how it is grown. You just don't get that from food in the grocery store (especially when you're buying tomatoes and strawberries in the dead of winter. Hm.).

To find your local farmer's market and growers near you, check out Eat Wild and Local Harvest.

3 comments:

Kelly at Home said...

Yuuuuum! I don't need a picture...that description, and knowing how fresh it was, conjures up a delectable image!

Sheyenne said...

Isn't that house amazing? Yes, the kitchen is to die for! And that back wall in the dining room?! I can't wait to hear how she did all the shelves and stuff back there!! I'm a sucker for bright, light, white and tans with rich wood tones thrown in! :-)

Mrs.Rabe said...

Sounds fantastic!

We try to eat locally grown food, and organic when we can. We love to cook from scratch and make our own bread - though we don't always make our own bread!