Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Learning the Art of Couponing

I've never been much of a coupon clipper or deal hunter. Instead, I just stress over constantly going over my grocery budget. Well, that just isn't going to work for me anymore! Thanks to the abundance of money saving blogs out there and testimonials from personal friends, I can no longer deny that couponing WORKS. It might take a little more effort, but if it means that I could save as much as 70% on my grocery bill I will take it!

Here is my plan:

1. Clip, clip, clip! I'm going to clip and file coupons like a mad woman.
2. Every Wednesday I will check the ads for local grocery stores.
3. After I check the ads, I will compare my coupons AND head over to Frugal Fritzie to see the deals she finds. I am SO glad I discovered this blog via The Frugal Map. She covers both of the grocery stores where I plan to shop (trying to give up Wal-Mart as much as possible). If you haven't already, check out The Frugal Map to locate a deal finder in your area.
4. Shop with CASH. We're getting a little bit Dave Ramsey around here, folks. Again, we've seen it work too often to deny it anymore.

So why I am doing this? Because I have dreams for my family. Big dreams. I also have debt that is preventing those dreams from becoming a reality, and if reducing my grocery bill will free up funds to reduce that debt then I am on board.

Tomorrow is my first deal-seeking Wednesday and Friday marks the beginning of a brand new budget. Here I go...wish me luck!

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Awesome! I, too, really want to start using coupons, but I'm so overwhelmed by it all. My husband and I are currently taking the Dave Ramsey class at our church, (I've been seeing his name pop up in lots of blogs lately, too). Learning to use cash and prepare budgets, etc., is definitely hard to get used to. But oh...to be able to pay off those student loans! I would do anything!

Good luck on your quest to use coupons. Thanks for the links! I'm excited to check it out.

~ said...

Good luck and have fun! When I decided to dive into coupons, I quickly fell in love with it. It is a ton of fun to find freebies and get the essentials for mere pennies. If you find that you are overwhelmed with doing it all yourself, or that you just don't have the time required to go through the adds & blogs to get the most out of your coupons, I suggest checking out TheGroceryGame.com. It is a service you pay for (after 4 week free trial), but the cost is minimal and the savings are good. Just a suggestion if you can't seem to find the time to figure it all out yourself. :)